Call Center


What Are Some Facts on Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is something that happens quite often in younger drinkers. Alcohol poisoning refers to the condition one suffers when a large amount of alcohol is consumed in a short period of time. This is usually the case in teenage, or college-aged drinkers. This condition can lead to a stopping of the heart, breathing problems, and even a gag reflex problem leading to coma or death.

Leading Cause of Alcohol Poisoning

One of the main problems associated with underage drinking is that of binge drinking. This is very popular among young adults and drinking games. Binge drinking is referring to taking five or more drinks in rapid succession. Alcohol poisoning can also occur when ingesting a product that contains alcohol like cleaning products or some medications.

DRS counselor

Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms

If someone is known to have been drinking it is a good idea to watch them continually for any of the different symptoms of alcohol poisoning. These symptoms do not diagnose someone with alcohol poisoning but can mean the onset. The symptoms include things like great confusion, vomiting, seizures, very slow breathing, a blue tinge to the skin, a decrease in body temperature, and repeated passing out. When someone shows this type of behavior or general body condition, it is important to seek medical treatment.

How to Get Help for Alcohol Poisoning

Many people do not know how to handle a poisoning situation properly. A person with alcohol poisoning can be in two states. They can be conscious or unconscious. If the person is awake, the poison control center should be called for further instruction. If the person is unconscious, it is important not to leave the person unattended. They could vomit and choke while they are unconscious. Call 911 and wait for help to arrive.

Alcohol Poisoning Risk Factors

Anytime someone drinks a large amount of alcohol in a short period of time, or for a prolonged period, there is the potential for alcohol poisoning. However, there are some risk factors to consider that increase this potential. One of these factors is age. Young people are much more likely to suffer from alcohol poisoning. Although, most deaths occur in people who are 40 or older. Women drinkers are more susceptible to the effects of alcohol poisoning as they do not have the enzymes into the stomach to break down the alcohol, nor do they generally eat as much as men. A smaller person will also have a higher risk as they can absorb the alcohol much faster.

Treating Alcohol Poisoning

Treating for alcohol poisoning usually entails a waiting game. This means that with supportive care, the patient has to wait until the alcohol is discarded from the body. Careful monitoring, protection of the airway, assisted breathing, and giving lots of fluids will help to make sure the person does not choke, breathes easily, and is able to pass the alcohol from the body. In extreme cases, there may be more extensive medical procedures as the kidneys and liver are damaged. This is usually found in cases where children ingested ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. Antone that suffered from alcohol poisoning should attend alcohol treatment and detox.



Nickolaus Hayes - Author

More Information